Prior Tax Problems – What Steps Should I Take to Clear Up Prior Tax Problems?

Posted on 06. Jul, 2012 by in File Prior Taxes, Prior Tax Returns

Prior tax problems related to not filing on time are surprisingly common.  It can be difficult to get it together after a traumatic event or some other situation prevents you from filing your taxes in time.  Suddenly it is time to file your return for the current year and you realize you still have not filed the previous three.  It can all become very overwhelming very quickly.  The best way to attack prior tax problems is quickly, but with baby steps.

Start by finding a CPA.  Do not try to handle prior taxes alone.  You need a reputable, capable CPA on your side.  It is best to find one that specializes in filing prior year taxes.  Verify that they are licensed, and that their training and license is up to date.   Start by talking to family or friends that you may know have had tax issues before.  If you do not know of any, just ask others who they use.  You do not have to reveal any details about your own situation, but the word of others is the best place to start with any service provider, and CPAs are not excluded.

Make some phone calls and find someone you are comfortable with both professionally and personally.  You need to know they will do the job right, but also that they will treat you with respect.  This is another reason that finding someone who works with prior tax problems frequently is a good idea.  They have likely seen it all, and they will simply get the work done that needs to be done.

Once you have a CPA to work with, they will ask for all of your prior tax information.  They will go through it and ask for any other information they may need.  They may also have to contact you frequently with questions.  The more cooperative you are, the better able they will be to help you with your prior tax problems.

Once the return is filed, you will likely owe a great deal in penalties and interest.  At this point, you can work out a payment plan with the IRS that meets your needs.

We are a CPA firm and we deal specifically with clients who need help filing prior tax returns.  Have Questions? Call us now for a FREE consultation at 1-888-570-1033.


Tags: , ,

Comments are closed.